Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Interesting Tidbits....

I've been meaning to do this for a while - so here goes.....

Some cool stuff for my clients:

People are always asking about cool stuff (clothes/props/etc) for pictures so I thought I would share:

The cool hat / beanie in a couple of my recent pictures is from the Portland Beanie Company. I bought the 3-6 month size "Flapper" style brown beanie with the pink flower. I TOTALLY plan to buy more in different styles and colors because they are sooooo cute and well made.

I also just got a really cute tu-tu that I haven't used yet - but it will be perfect for the 6 month to one-year-old crowd. I found it at a local festival and the company is called All Sweet Bowtique. They also sell really cute hair bows (although I'm not a big fan of large hair bows for pictures).

If you are in the market for some frames - for all those pictures you got from me (wink-wink) - some of my favorites are:

The Red Envelope Gallery Frame Sets

The Modular Photo Wall Frame Collection - from Exposures Online

The Double Matted Frames - from Picture This Framed. I like these because you can mix larger photos in one frame (ie: an 8x10 with (2) 5x7)

For my photographer friends out there (or those interested in photography)......

Here's what's "in my bag":

First - this is MY BAG and I love it!

The Beast (as I fondly call it) Canon 30D SLR
Lenses:
Current Favorite: 24-70mm 2.8L
Second Favorite: 50mm 1.4
Third Favorite: 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS
I also have a GREAT flash that I never use since I use all natural light. Maybe someday.....

I took some GREAT classes at the Showcase School of Photography. Digital 101 (in the one-day format and the 6 week format), Digital 102, People Photography, Photoshop CS2.

Some great Photoshop Actions that I use A LOT can be found here:
Kevin Kubota Image Tools - I have the production tools and the Artistic Tools Volume 2
Totally Rad Action Set - Boutwell Studios

Actions are a great way to do a simple boost to your images (brighten color and sharpen a digital image) as well as lots of other fun stuff if you have the time.....

And finally - a photographer blog that I LOVE to read - and I can't wait to take one of their classes: The Image Is Found Photo Blog. It's a husband/wife team and they shoot mainly with wide angled lenses. Their style is completely different from mine - but it's so fun!

I think that's enough to keep everyone busy for now....... so I'll end with a picture......

Bath Time.....

For the photographers out there - this was shot in the bathroom (no windows) at 24mm focal length, f-stop 2.8 and ISO 1600. I used one of my cool black and white actions to convert it from color and wah-lah!
If anyone out there has questions or thoughts about anything, feel free to leave a comment..... :) Is there anyone out there???????

2 comments:

J Wolfe said...

So Vicki must have told you that I would love to pick your brain! I work with Vicki and I love your pics! I am always wondering what lens you use and how you edit in photoshop! I have taken digital 101 and I plan to take 102 as soon as an extra minute presents itself! Thanks for all of the info! You take beautiful photos and I hope to be able to book a session with you for my family........again time and money.........doesn't it always come down to that!

Jennifer Wolfe

Crystal said...

Jenn -

Thanks for your comment! I'm always wondering if anyone is really out there! :)

My other favorite class was People Photography with David Knox. It REALLY improved my picture taking skills.

Good luck - and hopefully we'll meet someday!

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in a few seconds. If not, visit
http://www.ccjamesphotography.com/blog/
and update your bookmarks.